The three gremlins of blister formation are heat, friction and moisture. AR Mini Gaiters keep trail debris (grass seeds, sticks, stones, gravel and sand) out of your shoes to improve foot comfort and sock longevity.
I’ve been sewing my own AR Mini Gaiters for about seven or eight years now and in this time fellow orienteers, trail runners and adventure racers have asked me to make pairs for them. I’ve outsourced the sewing part, using my design, to make these AR Mini Gaiters available to you.
- One size fits all thanks to four-way stretch lycra. BUT, girls, if your ankles are smaller than 21cm, please let me know. Also if your shoe size is smaller than UK5 or 6, let me know when you order. This is unusual (I’ve only encountered two thus far).
- Attaches to your bottom lace by folding over a Velcro tab (see picture). Elastic in the bottom seam keeps your gaiter from coming off your shoe at the back – it just works.
- Basic colours (black, sand and camo) shown below. Custom colours and crazy patterns available on request.
- If you go off-road most weekends, including AR and other multiday events, you can expect to get one year to 18 months from your gaiters. If you get a little hole in the fabric, which can happen depending on vegetation and terrain (and barbed wire!), just close it up with a few stitches (or superglue if you can’t sew…).
We’ll make up gaiters for your team in a colour of your choice, provided we can get the fabric.
And the cost?
Only R150.00 per pair. Postage (South Africa) is R30 – registered with tracking number.
PayPal transactions are now available for foreign orders (and local credit card payments).
Available through www.AR.co.za, Kinetic Gear store (Jo’burg), Outdoor Freedom (Centurion) and Go Multi Magazine’s online shop.
Kinetic Gear, Rivonia (Jo’burg)
Exercise & Nutrition Centre, Rivonia. Cnr North & Rivonia Roads (the store is ground level).
Outdoor Freedom, Doringkloof, Centurion
Shop 21, Doringkloof Mall, Doringkloof
From the N1, turn from the highway into Louis Botha Ave. At the robot at Lupin street & Botha Ave turn left and drive straight into the Doringkloof Mall. The shop is around the other side of the mall from this gate entrance.
Your gaiters can be posted to you for an additional R25 for postage and packaging (registered; can fit up to three pairs in each padded envelope). To order, just drop Liz an email (email@example.com) specifying quantity and delivery preference (by hand at certain events – Jo’burg – or postal; include postal address if this is your preference). She’ll respond with banking details and confirmation of your order.
Go Multi magazine ‘s online shop
- Slip AR Mini-gaiter over your foot, wide end downwards. The gaiter with the www.AR.co.za badge goes on your left foot (so that the badge faces out).
- Wrap the velcro tab over and under the bottom-most lace. The bottom-most lace part is important because 1) you get more coverage from the gaiter over the top of your shoe, to prevent stuff attaching to your laces and 2) this creates maximum tension on the gaiter.
- Stick the ‘free-end’ of the Velcro tab to the piece sewn to the underside of the fabric (this makes more sense when you actually do it!).
- Pull the back of the gaiter over your shoe.
- The elastic in the bottom of the gaiter helps to create tension and to keep the gaiter on your shoe.
- Included in your gaiter packet are Vecro tabs which you can stick on the back of your shoe and the rear of your gaiters. We recommend sticking the harder ‘hook’ piece to your shoe and the softer piece to the gaiter. Please do this at least 24hrs before using to allow the adhesive to stick properly. This Velcro tab is not always needed – it just depends on the tension of your gaiters (Lisa doesn’t use them).
Note: don’t pull the top of the gaiter high up your shin. It looks silly and it pulls the gaiter off your heel. The top is meant to sit around your ankle, above your socks.
- “I’m a newbie to the world of adventure racing and did my first Wartrail this weekend. I borrowed a pair of gaiters from a friend (I slept too late to order some in time before the race). They made such a difference! To keep out the grass and to give some style to my outfit ! Gaiters are now on my Top 5 list of must have gear for adventure racing. I’m definitely gonna order some more for birthday gifts for my trailrunning buddies.” – Madreez, Bloem
- “Tried and tested ……… very impressed! Great product that JUST works!” – Errol, CT
- “We kloofed Grootkloof last night. Crazy stunt we do mid-winter every year. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that your mini gaiters are superb at keeping gravel out of shoes. Normally by the time you get out the kloof your shoes are full of gravel – today I had hardly a stone!” – Tony
- “Last weekend I’ve run a running trail in Belgium. It was a trail over 60km and I wore my Gaiters. They worked perfectly!” – Paul, Netherlands (yes, we do send to countries outside of South Africa)
- “Please send two more pairs of gaiters….the rest of my bush crew would like a pair. I ran with mine last night…very cool, no sand irritating me, no twigs and no muddy socks!!!” – Grant
- “Just to let you know, I have the gaiters and ‘hiked’ them in yesterday on a stunning hike along Chapman’s Peak, all the way up to the Peak and back… Cape Town has some truly magnificent walks! I’ll be recommending them to anyone who asks – they are perfect!” – Robyn, Cape Town
- “I’ve just come back from a 6km run in Tokai forest and can honestly say that the AR Mini-Gaiters are amazing!!” – Ray, Cape Town
- “I used the gaiters on trail run at Teak this weekend and they were awesome!” – Henri
We can do more interesting colours. If you have a preference, let us know and we’ll see if we can make them for you. It just takes a few days longer.